Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Aviation Organizations



What Two Organizations Would it be Important to Belong To?

Two aviation organizations which I think would be beneficial to belong to would be AOPA (Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association), and ALPA (Air Line Pilots Association).

What are the Missions and Functions of Each?

AOPA is an organization whose primary focus revolves around General Aviation. AOPA’s mission is to “Protect your freedom to fly”; they do this by:
Advocating on behalf of our members, educating pilots, nonpilots, and policy makers alike, supporting activities that ensure the long-term health of General Aviation, fighting to keep General Aviation accessible to all, and securing sufficient resources to ensure our success (“AOPA’s Mission”, n.d.)

The Air Line Pilots Association, as the name implies, “represents and advocates for more than 54,000 pilots at 31 U.S. and Canadian airlines” (“About ALPA”, n.d.). They are “the world’s largest airline pilot union”, and provide “pilot assistance; representation; and advocacy” to its members (“About ALPA”, n.d.). The mission of ALPA, is to “promote all aspects of aviation safety throughout all segments of the aviation community”, to represent “the collective interests of all pilots in commercial aviation”, and to defend “the rights and privileges of the professional pilots who are members of the Association” (“About ALPA”, n.d.).

What are their Roles in the Overall Aviation Industry?

Besides providing educational and safety material to its members, AOPA also offers professional legal help, providing (for an additional fee) advice on how to avoid problems, or legal defense if a problem occurs. The cost of $49 a year (or $99 a year for Commercial, Instructor, or ATP) is pretty low considering the high cost of legal help you otherwise would have to pay if a problem occurred.

ALPA has been active in the aviation industry since the early 1930s – protecting the interests of the early mail delivery airmen being pushed into “horribly unsafe flying conditions” (“ALPA History”, n.d.). ALPA has continued to push for safety and the interests of its pilot members over the decades, and in the 1990s campaigned for “One Level of Safety”, which brought “Part 135 operations with more than nine passengers up to the same standards as Part 121 operations” (“ALPA History”, n.d.). More recently, ALPA has been involved with the FAA to set “rational, science-based flight- and duty-time limits and minimum rest requirements for passenger airline pilots” (“ALPA History”, n.d.). Among their current top priorities are “making science-based fatigue rules applicable to all airline pilots; improving airline pilot training and professionalism; and safely integrating remotely piloted aircraft into civil airspace” (“ALPA History”, n.d.).


Why is it Important to Belong to these Associations?

I believe I will continue to fly GA aircraft even after becoming involved in an airline, and as such, feel it would be a good idea to become a part of and support an association who aims to protect and keep GA flying alive. Also, AOPA’s legal plan could be very useful to ensure you’re legally covered should a problem arise.
ALPA is an established pilot union, and a recognized voice in government concerning airline pilots’ safety and interests. As such, I think it is important and beneficial for me to become a member of such an association as their lobbying and decisions will have a direct effect on my career.


References:
 About ALPA - What We Do. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.alpa.org/about-alpa/what-we-do
ALPA History. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.alpa.org/about-alpa/our-history
AOPA's Mission, Vision and Values. (n.d.). Retrieved from
            https://www.aopa.org/about/mission-vision-and-values

6 comments:

  1. I would agree with the many points you brought up about aviation organizations. The Aircraft Owners Association and Air Line Pilots Association are the same two organizations that I looked into. I think it is very important to join an organization because it not only shows an interest in the industry, but the voice they provide to rule makers is so very important. AOPA's legal plan is a key point that you issued and I think it is very important because you never know or plan for a problem to occur.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with both of the organizations that you mentioned, and also chose those as the two i wrote about. You also make great points about having legal tools if a problem were to arise and continuing to fly GA throughout your life. Flying is a hobby of mine and I will be lucky enough to not only do it professionally but also for fun when I am not at work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good read. I decided to highlight both the AOPA and ALPA organizations as well. Beyond the legal services, training opportunities, and other specialized services the organizations offer, it seems that at the end of the day they both share the mission of protecting pilots and leveling the playing field when it comes to operating in both the general aviation and airline industries. I look forward to what the future holds for both organizations hope that they are still offering their services until the end of my flying days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand that these organizations are wonderful assets to go along with your career. This class has shown me how important AOPA and NBAA are but I am wondering if I chose a path outside of the airline would a ALPA membership be worth it. As I think of it once I get into my career I would probably invest into most of these organizations to keep abreast of things in the aviation community.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will also continue to fly GA aircraft when my career gets going. I also see the importance in becoming a member in these organizations. If i do not join the airlines, I do not think ALPA will be as important, but I do see the importance in membership.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the AOPA is an excellent choice because they offer so many valuable tools for pilots and those who are not flying but in the aviation field. They do a good Job at keeping you updated on the latest aviation topics and I am a memeber so I have found it very useful. I have not really heard much on ALPA i was definitely interested in learning more about it after reading your blog

    ReplyDelete